Listing all unique installed app names (system + user installed) on Android from Windows, over USB

arlen holder

Dec 19, 2018, 4:57:44 PM12/19/18
As always, please improve with your suggestions of how to freely list the
exact unique name (& version) of all your system + user installed apps.

Today I needed a list of the unique name of the contact app on my phone
while I was on Windows, where I googled and found this Windows freeware
command that solves that problem instantly:
<http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-determine-the-package-name-of-an-android-app/>

List all post-install apps, from Windows, over USB, using adb freeware:
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -3 -f > my_added_apps.txt

List all pre-installed apps, from Windows, over USB, using adb freeware:
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -f > system_apps.txt

If you like grep'ing, you can use "findstr" also, for example:
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -f | findstr "contacts"

The output from the latter is the following (on an LG Stylo 3 Plus):
package:/system/priv-app/LGContacts/LGContacts.apk=com.android.contacts
package:/system/priv-app/IceContacts/IceContacts.apk=com.lge.icecontacts
package:/system/app/GoogleContactsSyncAdapter/GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk=com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts
package:/system/priv-app/LGContactsProvider/LGContactsProvider.apk=com.android.providers.contacts

And the output from the former is the following freeware:
package:/data/app/com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro-1/base.apk=com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro

NOTE: This contact manager freeware came from F-Droid:
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro/>

You can pick up the Windows adb freeware here:
<https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/>

The adb freeware also comes with the Android Studio IDE freeware:
<https://developer.android.com/studio/>

Where Android Studio allows you to write apps for Android, where your very
first app will work on your phone in "about an hour" from start to finish.
<https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/0dR8Lodl/report-my-first-hello-world-using-android-studio-freeware-on-windows-worked-just-fine-in-about-an>
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/aW64zYeBtF0>

NOTE: Another feature of ADB is that it can "see" (hence read and copy!)
every single file on the Android device, even if your Android device is not
rooted (e.g., it can copy the hosts file from Android over to Windows).
o adb pull /system/etc/hosts C:\tmp\hosts.android
o <https://www.modmy.com/how-modify-hosts-file-your-android-device>

Note that there is other Windows freeware that can see and read and copy
every single file on the Android device, such as libmtp:
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/vmWWLzPHKt0%5B1-25%5D>

As always, please improve with your suggestions of how to freely list the
exact unique name (and version) of all your system + user installed apps.